Saturday, February 18, 2006

Blackberries and ivy.

I just don't get it.
Peter and I spent hours, days, weeks yanking up ivy and hacking down blackberry brambles last summer. Yet, here they are again - in full force! From every stem I hacked back to the ground, 5 more have appeared thick 'n prickly, twice as vicious - I feel like Hercules facing the Hydra, here.

There must be some use for these seemingly irrepressible plants - the paper industry? Something to replace fossil fuel? I tell you, they're the ULTIMATE renewable resource.

I am presently picking prickles (say that one 10 times fast) out of my pants, jacket and skin. Two hours of blackberry hacking and I've not even put a dent in the damage they've managed to do since September. Arrrrrgh! I must reclaim every inch of our yard!!

All right, folks. Any tips on this? I've heard a goat does the trick... and who wouldn't want a goat, especially a pygmy goat?
Unfortunately, my list of animals to own goes:
Cat (which will hopefully live forever)
then dog, or, according to Peter, DOGS
then zebra finches
then chickens
then vietnamese pot-bellied pig
then llamas
then
goat.

I am perilously close to using some non-eco-friendly options here.
(insert Bonanza theme song) Dum-diddy-dum-diddy-dum-dum-dum -Round-up!

Peter's home tomorrow.
I'll find us some Kevlar gardening overalls and we can give it another shot.
Post a Comment