Sunday, July 16, 2006

Doomed to usefulness

Many people wonder what teachers do with the 2 months they have off during the summer. "Why?!-" they gape, "do you need two months off?"
The answer, my friends, is so intensely dull that you will regret having asked the question.
Aside from the two-or-so weeks that I actually spend doing vacationny things in vacationny places, and the weekends I reserve for trying to exhume my social life, I mostly do useful things. In fact I have a list of useful things that I compiled the week before summer holidays started just to keep myself focused on all the useful things that I have to complete. My goal is constant productivity. Must. Complete. Tasks.

I'm pretty sure that Peter thinks I'm off-kilter. He has a truly spectacular and effortless talent for being euphorically unproductive and blissfully useless during his spare time. It's like he's missing that constantly niggling voice in his head that says, "there are many useful things that need to be done; so go do something productive. NOW! " This is the voice that I must suppress every time Peter and I rent a DVD and I try to just sit and watch it. The best way for me to cope is to multi-task. Here are some popular choices:
  • Write list of things I should be doing instead of watching DVD
  • Repair or make belly dance costumes
  • Knit something
  • Organize binders or boxes
  • Make labels for things
  • Give self manicure
  • Floss teeth thoroughly
So I have, thus far, used most of my holiday hours for good and not for sloth. For instance, I painted the front door purple today, as well as the mailbox and our address sign.
They were already a very dark purple before. But now they're "Black Raspberry." Immensely satisfying. This is just one example of the thirty kazillion things that need doing during the 2 months I have off.

Normally, I look forward to going up to Shuswap Lake because I am forced to put my to-do list on hold and to succumb to 100% fun and relaxation for a week or two, but this year I am denied even that brief reprieve.

The cabin is under construction, which means, upon our arrival, we will be greeted by a fresh, new to-do list. One must do one's part, you see. The cabin, now in its finishing stages, is a spectacular waterfront retreat. When all of the final touches are complete, everyone (especially my parents, who have spend the whole year going back and forth to Anglemont every weekend) will finally have the leisure to enjoy it. Mom and Dad have promised to limit working hours to 3 or 4 a day. It's a part-time vacation!

Not yet, though. I still have a lengthy to-do list to tackle. Off to Home Depot we go.
Post a Comment