Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Knitting and Dr. Who

I learned how to knit almost exactly three years ago. I got it in my head that I wanted to present my dear hubband with a unique Christmas gift: something meaningful and homemade. So, I set to work making the world's largest scarf, which stretched a full 16 ft. upon completion. This scarf was modeled after the one worn by Tom Baker during some late 70s Dr. Who episodes. By the way, if you've ever been forced to watch old Dr. Who episodes, you'll know what the word "excruciating" means.

Two words: Low. Budget. Like the kind of low budget where someone says, "Hey Bob! If we spraypaint this old kitchen trashcan silver and attach some bubble wrap, it will look *exactly* like a space alien robot!"
Then someone else says, "Great idea, Joe - but let's glue on a few plungers too..."

Oh, then there's the music. Give George the gibbon in your local primates zoo an old Kawai synthesizer to play with and he'd probably come up with a better theme song. I won't even MENTION the incidental music...

Special effects? More like "special needs" effects. "Hmmm. Maybe if I lie on the floor and roll around with the camera it will make it look like you're warping through space!"

Yet somehow, Peter loves these shows. Hence the idea for the scarf, which he also loves, but does not wear often enough to prove that he truly loves me.

Anyhow, I'm back at knitting again, but can only remember one type of stitch. The knit stitch. Just can't seem to recall how to purl.

You'd think that the many diagrams on the internet would help, but I manage to bung it up every time I try. Oh, and my knitting mentor, Peter's mom, is in Toronto at present, which makes me sad, because I miss her and her knitting wisdom. What am I going to do when I have to cast off?

Anybody out there know how to purl (and cast off, too!) and willing to come over this weekend to help me?

I'll knit you a scarf in return!
Post a Comment