Sunday, December 31, 2006

Echo Sounding

On the shallow side:

It was a good birthday/Christmas season for Chelle. Giving was fun. Receiving was also fun, perhaps funner.
I received (and bought) many very cool things this holiday season, including a multi-green Triclimate jacket which is complimented by this uber-cute toque that I bought in Whistler (pictures soon to be posted). I bought the toque and was soooo ready to hit the slopes. But that didn't really happen. I don't actually own ski boots that fit me... or skis for that matter... or even ski pants...or the desire to go skiing, really. But anyhow, the toque rocks.

Getting Deeper:

This Christmas was the first true test of my new eating regime. Confronted by juicy ham, verdant asparagus, the finest Merlot and an array of tantalizing chocolaty/nutty/creamy desserts, I held my own.
Yup. Canned peaches for dessert: not that bad.
I can honestly say that I have not had a single taste of chocolate since July! Somehow that came out sounding more depressing than inspirational.

Ocean Floor:

I think that the honeymoon period is officially over. It's been almost 6 years since we've known each other, but lately, when I think about our relationship, I've been experiencing apathy, avoidance, negative thoughts and denial. We've taken a break from each other, but it is inevitable that we will have to face each other soon. I know how supportive all of you are, so I don't mind telling you that it's not going so well between me and my work.

It's nothing that either one of us has done. Teaching has been my constant and faithful companion for a long time now, providing me with a new challenge every day, a minimally increasing paycheque and plenty to do in my nonexistent spare time. I've always been there for work, giving it my 100%, sticking to things when I'm frustrated or tired, marking into the wee hours of the evening... I even try not to go to bed angry about our day together.

It's not even that teaching has been particularly hard this year, in fact, it's probably been our best year together yet. I've got 3 great classes, 2 wonderful teaching partners and, usually only 1 lesson to plan per night. Yet, the thought of flinging myself back into the classroom on Monday is making me exhausted. Why? Why,why,why,why,WHY!?

You know in Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail in the Swamp Castle scene, when Herbert's father keeps trying to spell out his son's inevitable future as king of the Swamp Castle:

KING OF SWAMP CASTLE:
When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.

But Prince Herbert has already decided that he is not interested in inheriting Swamp castle as his dad suggests:

HERBERT:
But I don't want any of that. I'd rather--
KING:
Rather what?!
HERBERT:
I'd rather...
[rising crescendo of symphonic music]
...just... SING!

That's me right now. Only I'd rather just [dance/knit/blog/do yoga] pretty much for the rest of my life. The thrill is gone.
Post a Comment