Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bump on a Log.

Cause:I went camping with my grade 8s this week.

Effect: I spend yesterday evening under observation in the Labour and Delivery ward at the hospital.

Let me elaborate:

Cause: The 3rd Annual "Les Vikings Verts" Team Camping Trip. This year was my year to plan it, and I decided on Horne Lake Teepee Adventure Camp.

Pros: (which I was informed of from the get-go)

- Lots of cool activities, including caving
- Friendly staff
- Spectacular, pristine waterfront setting
- Ability to accommodate our whole team of 73 students.
- Kids get to sleep in teepees (how cool is that for a 14-year-old?)
- Fully catered meals brought on site

Cons: (most of which I found out about two weeks ago)
- In the middle of nowhere
- No power
- No running water (Hot OR Cold)
- Foul collection of outhouses that were meant to pass for "washroom facilities"
- No buildings other than the teepees
- Garbage bin: 15 minute walk from campsite
- Lots of duck mites in the lake

I came equipped with a borrowed tent and air mattress, which was very comfy, considering. There was a lot of walking around to be done, even for me (I chose not to participate in the activities, for obvious reasons - I would get stuck in the cave, for instance). We had to walk to the food and back, to the outhouses and back, to the garbage bin and back. I guess, thinking back, I was pretty much walking most of the time I was there.

I thought I had done a good job of taking it easy until Tuesday morning, when I decided to go on a little half-hour walk to photograph the kids doing some rappelling. Well, the group I went with got lost, and a walk turned into a 10km hike up a gas line road, then back down again. I knew at the time that I shouldn't be doing it, but there was no way to get back to camp, other than more walking, so I toughed it out and we eventually made it back to camp.

Needless to say, I was pretty exhausted throughout the rest of the trip, and a bit sore too, so I did a lot of sitting in my folding chair. I really started to notice the soreness on the drive back to the school. By the time I got back, told all the waiting parents that the bus would be arriving soon, and carried empty water jugs up to my classroom, I was feeling a bit uncomfortable and there were some bad signs...

Effect: Peter and I ended up at the hospital in Labour and Delivery for most of the evening yesterday, where they hooked me up to a bunch of machines that made noise and monitored me for quite awhile, because I was showing signs of early labour.

The baby is fine, but it seems my body isn't quite cooperating because it is under too much strain. That, coupled with the past 3 weeks I've had have made my bits forget their job: Must. Keep. Baby. In.
The doctor was very firm. I get to go home, but I'm under observation. Strict rest for the next 5 days: sitting or, preferably lying down. The slightest cramp, twinge or anything and I'm back in the hospital. I may not be allowed to start up any form of exercise again until my due date. :(

So, it's day 1. I am not very good at relaxing. I'm already restless. Plus, the house needs attention. Going NUTS not being able to get things back in order.
Peter the pinch hitter will now step up to the plate, which he has done competently in the past. He will be a busy guy: working, taking care of the cat and attempting to meet my (relatively high because they actually exist) standards when it comes to keeping house. I'm honestly trying to relax my expectations for the sake of his sanity... Really!

I can do this, though. For the sake of the baby, I can learn how to relax.

That being said, I need to find some projects that I can do sitting or lying down. DVD recommendations and book recommendations would also come highly appreciated. Or just chatting. After the time at camp, I miss talking to adults.

If all goes well over the next few days, I will be allowed to attend my FSA marking session on the mainland, just so long as I take it easy. I'd really like to be able to go, because I haven't been out for a visit for awhile, so I will be good for the next 5 days and I will relax.

Feel free to check up on me :)
Post a Comment